Unfailingly supports the protection of State’s rights and local solutions
As a law enforcement executive with 43 years experience supports public safety
Believes in sanctity of life and supports pro-life policies
McDonald is a pro-life legislator, period. His stance is based on his deep religious convictions, as well as his respect for the sanctity of human life.
Supports the equalization of property taxes in Idaho
Patrick McDonald believes in relieving the tax burden that Idahoans bear. His record reflects that stance. He supports tax relief across the board, including such items as eliminating onerous sales tax on food and groceries, reducing the state income tax burden, and returning surpluses to taxpayers.
Pro 2nd Amendment
The second amendment is more than just an avenue to preserve hunting and sport shooting, it’s a right that allows for personal protection and defense. Under his watch, those rights will not be eroded. The second amendment is a INDIVIDUAL right, and not conditional upon membership in the national guard.
Past voting record:
- Voted to restore operational funding to address the issue of recruitment and retention of teachers and improve Idaho’s K-12 educational system, $31.2 million and $41.5 million funding for continuing implementation of the career ladder.
- Voted for HB526, providing extensive reading intervention; SB1290, establishing college and career advisors; and HB458, improving advanced opportunities for students.
- Voted for a new push for computer science and Science, Technology, Engineer and Math (STEM) education as well as an early-reading initiative.
- Voted to prevent the harvesting of fetal tissue.
- Voted to ban Idaho courts from considering foreign or Sharia Law decisions.
- Voted for two more crisis centers in the state of Idaho.
- Voted for the launching of a new coordinated suicide prevention plan, including funding for the Idaho Suicide Prevention Hotline, youth programming a public awareness campaign, and training.
- Voted for an urban renewal board; requiring a 60 percent vote for urban renewal funds to be used for public buildings like city halls and libraries; and requires all urban renewal plans to be posted annually.
- Idaho School Safety and Security Advisory Board Ad Hoc Member, 2016
- Public Defense Reforms Committee 2016
- RECOGNIZED by the Idaho Federation of Families For Children’s Mental Health for co-sponsoring and carrying Idaho’s Anti-Bullying bill on the house floor, 2015